Health Care and Hothouse Tomatoes

Posted by HB Wednesday, December 30, 2009











As a bona fide has been, I am all for health care reform. I am at the age now where my future health care is a lot like Laramie, Wyoming. Laramie isn't the end of the world, but you can see it from there.
Same with my health. It's not bad now, but I can see the future and it looks a lot like Laramie. Optimistically, I am hoping that health care issues will be resolved for the good of all. Realistically, I have a feeling that health care will more likely resemble my hothouse tomatoes.
This past summer, I grew some great tomatoes. It was my best crop ever. I attribute it to growing the tomatoes in fabric grow pots. In October, when it started to get cold, I came up with the great idea of moving the tomatoes into a small hothouse/greenhouse in my backyard that I have had for a few years.
The theory was that I would have tomatoes all year long. To make the theory work, I placed two space heaters in the greenhouse to keep the tomatoes toasty during cold and freezing weather. The heaters basically ran and heated the greenhouse 24/7.
It worked like a charm. When the freeze and cold weather came, my tomatoes continued producing blossoms and fruit. I was an agricultural genius and could see our family giving fresh tomatoes to neighbors for Christmas.
It was the greatest idea I ever had...until the electric bill arrived. Turns out that all of those tomatoes we were eating in November and December cost us $12.67 apiece.
I immediately pulled the plug on my pots and terminated the tomatoes. My wife and I could have bought airline tickets to a beach in Mexico and picked up a bushel of tomatoes to bring back on the return trip and it would have still been cheaper.
My hothouse was a great idea, until the electric bill arrived. It might also be that health care reform is a great idea, but wake me when the first bill arrives.
Meanwhile, I am trying to be much nicer to my kids. I make sure they have all the tomatoes they want (now bought at Albertson's) just in case they end up being the only health care I have.

0 comments

Blog Archive

Thru the lens and life of HB

I'm an apprentice senior citizen who can't wait for my old-man discounts to kick in. At one time, HB stood for Healthy Baby, Hunky Body, Happy Bridegroom, HouseBroken and Half-Baked. My current HB status is Has-Been. A few more Happy Birthdays and Hardly Breathing can't be too far away. Then, hopefully it will be Heaven Bound. I will keep you posted.

Hefty Baby..................Healthy Boy

Hefty Baby..................Healthy Boy

Happy Bridegroom...Hare-Brained

Happy Bridegroom...Hare-Brained

Housebroken...........Has Been

Housebroken...........Has Been

Followers