Forty Dollars, Forty Years and Car Insurance

Posted by HB Tuesday, April 13, 2010


My daughter, on the right, gets home in late July from serving in the Washington D.C. South LDS Mission. She has served well and we are proud of her.


I, on the other hand, returned home from the Chilean Mission, forty years ago. My parents sent $43 per month to keep me out there. I think they were sad to see me come home (just kidding). It was cheaper to keep me in Chile than it was to pay for the additional cost of car insurance when I was home and driving.

I think I mentioned in an earlier post that I didn't take any pictures or keep a journal while serving for 27 months. I regret that. I only have one photo of a missionary companion. I don't know where it came from, but the photo above is of me and Elder Elwes. If I remember correctly, he was from Ceres, California.

Okay, you are now excused and can quit reading. The rest of this post is for my own benefit. I thought I had better put down on paper and post, the areas where I worked in Chile and the names of the companions with whom I served.

Before getting to Chile, I spent three months in the old Language Training Center on the southern end of the BYU campus. I can't currently remember the last name of my LTC companion, but it will come to me. I do remember his first name was Terry and he was from Thatcher, AZ. For now I will call him Elder Terry from Thatcher.

I also remember that during our last month at the LTM, which was in December, they were short on rooms so they put our district in the old Calder Motel, down on 300 South in Provo. We had to walk back and forth early in the morning and late at night.

Since I was reared in the desert heat of California, I have never been able to tell my children that I had to walk to school in the snow, but I can truthfully tell then that I had to walk to the LTM in snow. It was truly a cultural and climate shock.

Once in Chile, I had 11 companions. Four of them were for only a few weeks each during transitional transfer periods. I can't remember the names of two of the four, but can still see their faces.

Here are the names I do remember. Elders Whitehead, Rasmussen, Samsel, Romney, Elwes, Rattray, Smith, Burr and Conover.

I will always remember the places where I served:  Nunoa, San Felipe, San Miguel, Vina del Mar, Temuco and Vallenar.

As far as my current missionary situation goes, it will be cheaper to get my daughter home and back on our car insurance program, than to keep her in D.C.

Times have changed.

1 Responses to Forty Dollars, Forty Years and Car Insurance

  1. Anonymous Says:
  2. buy valium online buy valium online no prescription canada - generic for valium

     

Blog Archive

Thru the lens and life of HB

I'm an apprentice senior citizen who can't wait for my old-man discounts to kick in. At one time, HB stood for Healthy Baby, Hunky Body, Happy Bridegroom, HouseBroken and Half-Baked. My current HB status is Has-Been. A few more Happy Birthdays and Hardly Breathing can't be too far away. Then, hopefully it will be Heaven Bound. I will keep you posted.

Hefty Baby..................Healthy Boy

Hefty Baby..................Healthy Boy

Happy Bridegroom...Hare-Brained

Happy Bridegroom...Hare-Brained

Housebroken...........Has Been

Housebroken...........Has Been

Followers