I WANT TO WORSHIP AT WENDY'S

Posted by HB Tuesday, March 30, 2010

I've heard a lot of sermons from the pulpit during my lifetime. Some have been very inspirational, uplifting and edifying.

Seeing a good sermon is more rare. I saw one yesterday and doubt I will forget it anytime soon.

I took my daughter to the airport yesterday to catch a flight to Phoenix. We left with plenty of time to spare because she had to make a stop at an appointment she had before heading to the airport.

We got to the appointment and it had been canceled. Since we had plenty of time, I told her I wanted to get something to eat.

I pulled off the freeway looking for a fast food restaurant. If you pull off any freeway in any city, chances are that 50% of the time, you are going to land in a less than upscale part of town. That's where we ended up, but I spotted a Wendy's and went inside to order a BLT Cobb Salad.

There was just one guy in front of me. I put him in his late 50's to mid 60's. If I had to stereotype a guy down on his luck, this would be the guy I would pick.

He was unshaven, poorly dressed, mumbled his words and kept his eyes lowered to the counter. He ordered a burger, fries and soda and handed the young girl waiting on him a credit card.

It came back as declined. The girl, who looked all of 16, called her manager. He looked all of 22 or 23.
He ran the card again and it came back as declined. The manager asked the man if he had another way of paying.

The man didn't say anything, but just shook his head no. Without hesitation, this young manager reached into his pocket, pulled out his personal credit card, swiped it and told the man to bring in some money the next time he came in.

I was impressed. For someone who undoubtedly has heard more sermons than this kid about doing good to my fellow man, it wasn't me reaching for my wallet.

When I approached the counter to make my order, I told the kid, that I saw what he did and complimented him for his charity.

He just said, "You know, the funny thing is that most of the people I help usually do come back and pay the money."

I saw this sermon with my own eyes and it was better than any other sermon I have heard in a long, long time and one that I won't forget for a long, long time.

1 Responses to I WANT TO WORSHIP AT WENDY'S

  1. April Says:
  2. Wow! That story really touched me this morning! Thanks for sharing it.

     

Blog Archive

Thru the lens and life of HB

I'm an apprentice senior citizen who can't wait for my old-man discounts to kick in. At one time, HB stood for Healthy Baby, Hunky Body, Happy Bridegroom, HouseBroken and Half-Baked. My current HB status is Has-Been. A few more Happy Birthdays and Hardly Breathing can't be too far away. Then, hopefully it will be Heaven Bound. I will keep you posted.

Hefty Baby..................Healthy Boy

Hefty Baby..................Healthy Boy

Happy Bridegroom...Hare-Brained

Happy Bridegroom...Hare-Brained

Housebroken...........Has Been

Housebroken...........Has Been

Followers